20 QUESTIONS WITH: Robert Rave, author of WAXED
1. Bookmarks or dog ears?
Dog ears! I’ve never been a bookmark kind of guy. I like my books to be a little worn in, like a great pair of jeans.
2. Dust jacket on or off when reading a hard back?
On. If the graphic designer or artist took the time to create something beautiful I want to be able to look at it every time I pick up the book.
3. Favorite author?
Nonfiction—David Sedaris. Fiction—it changes all the time for me.
4. Favorite genre’?
Lately, it’s been memoirs.
5. What is the best book you have read in the last year?
Water for Elephants.
6. What book would you most like to see made into a movie?
Spin or Waxed. Um, hello? There’s no money in writing books. LOL
7. If you could only take one book with you to a desert island, which would you bring?
Ulysses because I would probably die on that island before fully comprehending everything in it.
8. What book have you read that you think is overrated?
I can’t go there. I look at it this way, when people write or create something and put it out there—it’s their dream, their passion and to do share themselves takes tremendous courage. So for me to take them down a notch because I wasn’t feeling the story, doesn’t feel right.
9. What are you reading right now?
One Day by David Nicholls. Started page one a little bit ago.
10. What is the last book you bought just for the cover?
Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin. Her covers are very simple yet kind of chic. This book has a really deep purple cover that I thought would like great against my wall. Thankfully, it’s also a really great book.
11. What is the last book you received in the mail?
Sextrology. Don’t ask.
12. What is the number of books you own?
I used to own a lot, but every couple of months or so I donate them either to the local library or to shops that donate their proceeds to charity. I believe it’s important to pass them on. So I keep about 15-20 around the house and rotate them every so often.
13. What is the first book you remember reading by yourself as a child?
I want to say it was Clifford The Big Red Dog.
14. Do you have a favorite place to read?
Oddly enough, airplanes. No interruptions—it’s perfect for me.
15. What is next for you, publishing-wise?
I have a nonfiction book with St. Martin’s that is coming out in the fall of 2011. I’m not sure that exact release date, but if you join my page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter I’ll post the information as soon as I know.
I’ve also started writing an entirely new project—a series of books. It’s one of those things that I kept trying to delay for whatever reason, but something inside of me kept telling me to start writing it.
16. Do you have a favorite place to write?
I get distracted so very easily that I force myself to write in this little cubby hole in my bedroom so I stay focused.
17. Do you have any pets ?
Yes, I have two french bulldogs that put a smile on my face multiple times a day.
18. How does your garden grow?
With Riesling. Lots and lots of Riesling.
19. The last thing you Googled?
Movie showtimes for the new Angelina Jolie movie, SALT.
20. What makes you cringe?
Seeing photos of myself. I take the WORST pictures. Seriously.